[Rhodes22-list] Spring loaded pop top pin

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sun May 31 10:18:52 EDT 2015

Jefferson,

Anything that works, is safe and, above all, provides a great sailing
experience, is the right part.  I think that you are describing what is
known as a hitch pin
(http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/2-pk-jr-products-hitch-pin-cli
ps?a=586289).

The original hardware for connecting the mast slider to the poptop was known
as a fastpin or quickpin.  If memory serves, it was 1/4" diameter and 2-1/2"
long.  You can find them in any good hardware or sailing supply store.  The
internet superstore, Defender Marine Supply, has them for $11
(http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|5948|2333897|2673548&id=267438
4).

Fastpins were used by General Boats in the early 80's to secure the poptop
to the mast slider and to provide a "safety stop" when inserted in a hole in
the mast located below the slider when in the full up position to prevent it
from dropping if things got really rough.  My 1981 R22 was also equipped
with fastpins on the two rear stays as well as the forestay at the bow
chainplate.  The bow pulpit anchor was originally secured by a pair of
fastpins on the rail and a third at the deck.  This system was replaced with
a commercially available anchor hanger for easier deployment.

Since I was a trailer sailor in the early 80's, we left the two front lower
stays and the two upper side stays connected by standard Clevis pins at all
times.  The standard main mast was raised from the bow by two of us (no
crane system) and the rear lower stays were quickly fastpinned to secure the
mast in a vertical position, followed by attachment of the forestay and then
the rear stays. Using fastpins we were able to be sailing 30-45minutes after
arrival at the ramp.  We were in our 30's, but the fastpins did help speed
the process.

I was told that fastpins could fail unexpectedly or work loose while sailing
and should not be used by "real sailors".  In all my years, I never had one
fail in use, although I replaced them when the retaining ball did not snap
into place for fear that they might fall out if not properly retained.
These were placed in my toolkit for emergencies or other uses.  The key
rings were always attached via a short length of line to the closest rigging
component so that they were not lost overboard and were conveniently located
when needed.  I think that real sailors go sailing a lot.  We passed many
expensive boats by at anchor or in slips as we went sailing.

Mike
s/v Windlass ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY