[Rhodes22-list] Motor Lift Switch

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sat Nov 7 16:15:49 EST 2015

Ted,

That's not the one I used.  Here's mine:
http://www.gamainc.com/site/epage/130244_941.htm.

As for wiring, there's a red and a white wire from the boat battery to a
block (which is the receiver for the remote)  located on the port side of
the lazarette near the winch and then wires from the block to the winch.
Remove the ones from the block/controller that lead to the winch.  Add one
wire from the red side of the block to the connector in the middle of the
switch on the side that has a label, and wire the white side of the block to
the other center pole on the switch.  Then run wires from the remaining two
poles on the switch to the terminals on the winch.  It doesn't make any
difference which of those wires to which terminal, but if after installing
the switch in the lazarette bulkhead the motor goes down when you push the
up side of the rocker, then simply swap those last two wires on the back of
the switch.

Alternatively, I think you could disconnect the wires from the remote
controller, and connect them directly to the switch with some added wire,
bypassing the remote controller entirely.

When cutting a square hole to insert the switch, err on the side of too
small and sand your way to the "right size."   The spec says the switch is
.83" x 1.48" and I thought that was the size I cut.  Fortunately, whatever I
cut was too small and I just kept enlarging it in increments until the
switch snapped into place.  If you cut too large, the switch won't mount
properly -- it's held in by tensioners on the side of the switch.

In the meantime, put a float on the remote.  At least you'll have a chance
if you lose it overboard before you get the switch installed.

By the way, I don't know if you keep the remote controller hooked in the
circuit what would happen if you tried to use the remote.  Maybe both the
switch and the remote would work at your option, but then maybe neither
would work.  Somebody who actually understands electricity might be able to
advise on that.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

Bruce
s/v Tuxedo