[Rhodes22-list] Winterizing

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Mon Oct 5 17:26:43 EDT 2015

Alex,
Home Depot sells a 20 X 30 Medium Duty tarp. In 16 winters in Minnesota
I've tarped the boat about half of those. But when I do, I remove the mast
crutch and lower the mast to the stern rail for a "roof ridge". I also take
off the spreaders. Of coarse crank the trailer tongue jack high enough so
water will drain out of the cockpit. I've never pulled the batteries or the
cushions. Remove all food and bevs. Maybe set some mouse traps. Hopefully
you ran the motor out of gas on your last retrieve but if not, that's a
must. Discard old gas. Maybe fog the motor — some do, some don't. Can't
hurt. Consider changing the oil in the lower unit. Doesn't have to be done
every year but probably every other. Never a bad idea since it's a simple
procedure.
—Slim