[Rhodes22-list] Port tack problems

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sat Oct 24 17:52:08 EDT 2015

Ted:

I think all sailboats behave differently on port and starboard tacks.
Certainly mine does. Uneven weight distribution in the boat, which is always
the case,  will influence the amount of heel and that alone has an impact.
Variations in the shape of the hull, slight misalignment of the centreboard
etc. etc. etc. are all possible reasons.

If the difference really bothers you, start with the rig and in particular
make sure the mast is actually vertical by making sure that both top stays
are the same length when under tension. Do that before putting tension on
the lower stays which should be tightened only as needed to straighten the
mast once it is perfectly vertical. You can tell when the mast is straight
by looking up the sail track. You might find that you have to go back and
forth a few times in an iterative process to get the mast both vertical and
straight - side to side. You can attach the tip of a measuring tape or
non-stretch line to a halyard and take it to the top of the mast and then
measure to the chain plate on both sides. It is quite possible to have the
correct tension on both sides while one stay, when tensioned, is longer than
the other. If you have a standard rig there should only be a very slight
rake. Too much or too little will result in either weather or lee helm. If
that is the case now, I would suspect that some aspect of the rig tuning is
the villain and all of the other suggestions given by others are good places
to look.

Graham Stewart
Agile. R22, 1976
Kingston Ontario Canada