[Rhodes22-list] Elton

Jay Friedland jsail1 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 21 23:04:49 EDT 2016

Folks,
Elton was the consummate background glue that made things work in the field for GBI, often living under a black cloud of bad luck. That is from losing an R22 off the trailer on I-95 in VA, shutting it down until a full construction crane was able to remove it, to going through tow vans like some go through changes of underwear. He rarely left the scene of a new delivery until all the manageable details were addressed, diligence was his mainstay. He handled everything from trailer repairs to electrical, or even electronic troubleshooting, often enough to make MacGyver proud.

He often spoke of his Good Ol’ Days, when he fought all odds to bring Charlie Daniels Band to the  Long Island audiences, and many other groups as a pioneer when FM radio was king.

I had the joy of working many shows with him, from Michigan to Liberty Harbor, Jersey City, NJ for over 10 years, and all the travel in less-than-first-class conditions awaiting the next challenge. Elton had an opinion on all issues, felt at home where ever he wound up at the end of the day, a modern gypsy. However, it was his quiet, understated ways and his can-do attitude that made him a joy to spend time with, especially with sailing as the background, a win-win.

We often referred to Stan and Elton as the predecessors of Jake and Elwood. He will be greatly missed.

RIP, Elton