[Rhodes22-list] Elton

Rik Sandberg sanderico1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 09:42:53 EDT 2016

Elton Spitzer was a friend and always.... Always a gentleman.

I was just thinking about him the other day when the trophy he presented to
Sandy and I clear back in '02 at the after-race party for winning what we
called the Spitzer Cup Invitational at Kentucky Lake caught my eye. Of
course Elton being Elton he couldn't present the cup (actually a large
brass spittoon) without sneaking out and filling it full of confetti first
so he could dump it over my head. What a hoot!

All afternoon the day before, sailing in a rain so warm you couldn't tell
you were wet. Short tacking out of that skinny little bay we got too far
into because we were both too stubborn to start the motor. The whole time
just talking about sailing and boats and life in general.

Good times.

The last time I saw Elton was September, I believe, of '06. Sandy had had
her stroke and was in rehab. Elton loved Sandy and Sandy loved him. I don't
remember how, but somehow he found out she was in the hospital. He had a
delivery somewhere out near Fargo and made a point to stop on his way
through Minneapolis. Even though she really couldn't talk to him, he knew
just what to say to her and soon they were smiling and giggling like a
couple kids.

Elton was good people and a fine gentleman and I'll not forget him.

Our thoughts and prayer go out to Stan and Rose and their family and all
who may have known and been touched by Elton.

Rik Sandberg & Sandy Johnson

Long Prairie, MN

Formerly S/V Country Rhodes, '95 R22, then S/V Happy Little Girls 2, '82
Pacific Seacraft Flicka,

Now, S/V Happy Little Girls 3, '87 Island Packet 27