[Rhodes22-list] Swing keel help

Lou Rosenberg lsr3 at nyu.edu
Thu Apr 28 10:27:36 EDT 2016

Graham,

I read most of your response regarding your CB trunk repair.  Roger
originally recommended the
Garolite because its properties offer superior durability and easy to glass
in.  THe job was VERY tricky to drop them in with bailing wire, check for
any big spaces then epoxy them in.  As I recall some of the larger voids
were so deep I used lathe wood to give me some surface area and back support
with which I  epoxied the G10. THen I still had to glass over the seams
which was the hardest part as I recall.

There  was another chap from Baltimore area a few yrs back who had similar
issues and just trowled in
hydraulic cement incrementally. He then just epoxied over that cement and it
did work also.  Probably quicker and offered more ballast.
To finish my job and add  ballast I added a few gallons of sand poured in by
drilling holes in my  bilge next to the slot where I knew the voids resided.
I added a few small batches of epoxy also.

I liked your idea of making the plywood template of the center part of the
board where the pivot slot operates. Good Idea
BTW: I also had to remove my pivot slots by cutting them  out VERY
carefully, taking them home and
adding more glass and epoxy before re glassing them back in. I took careful
measurements and pictures to assist in replacing them.
The entire job took over a season on land.  I do remember I  began cutting
the trunk panels out when still on my trailer in the winter of 2004-05.  The
job finished around end of September 2005.

Then I began working on the bilge and stringers which needed to be replaced
due to water rot.

How many months do you get in  your part of Canada to sail?

be well
Lou