[Rhodes22-list] Replacement non-IMF Mast

Curtis Ruck ruckc at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 13 22:32:48 EST 2016

Marina placed my boat/trailer next to the large, extremely heavy boat seen
in the photo.  When I went to pull it out, I was pulling it out to the
right, which cased the stern and backstay to swing around and hook the
anchor about 10-11' in the air.

The best part of the story is that I broke routine a couple different
ways... normally i have windows down/radio off.  This day I had windows
up/radio on.  While trying to pull the boat out, I kept feeling greater
resistance from the trailer.  So I'd get out, walk around the
boat/trailer/truck ensuring ground clearance, I triple checked that the
tires had air and weren't dragging.  Never once thought to look up in the
air.  I repeated the get out and check the trailer two or three times
before I saw everyone else gawking at my broken mast.

I'm probably fortunate that I didn't try pulling harder.  The owner of the
large boat was onboard and said the boat was definitely leaning some.  Not
sure what would have given first, the backstay or the stands holding his
boat off the hard.