[Rhodes22-list] Boat Name

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sat Feb 13 16:03:28 EST 2016

Joe,

I was saving that story for another day, but since you ask, the name will be ‘Silverheels’.

The name comes from a song that Gordon Lightfoot wrote back in the early 70’s named ‘Christian Island’.

Tall and strong she dips and reels
I call her Silverheels
And she tells me how she feels
She's a good old boat and she'll stay afloat
Through the toughest gales and keep smiling
But for one more day she would like to stay
In the lee of Christian Island

When I first heard the song, I thought that was a good name for a sailboat, and the notion has been floating around in my brain for over 40 years.

Interestingly, according to the Internet (which is never wrong), Gordon Light never owned a sailboat named Silverheels.  He did have a sailboat, but it’s name was ‘Sundown’.

A search of database at 10000boatnames.com <http://10000boatnames.com/> got no hits, but there is a boat in Florida with the name and a webpage (silverheels.us), but at least I’ll be sharing the name with a nice looking Pearson 424.

Peter Nyberg
1988/2016 s/v Silverheels (someday)
But for now - No Boat Yet