[Rhodes22-list] New Kid On the Dock

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Wed Jan 6 19:23:53 EST 2016

Hi All,

In October the "Admiral" and I "The Captain" purchased a Rhodes 22.  She was
built in 1990 and went through a factory "recycle" in 2001.  We are not new
to sailing as we had a Clipper Marine 21 back in 76' on Lake Mead, just
outside of Las Vegas, NV.  Though it has been a while since our last sail, I
had a copilot who's father flew for United.  He had Nefer Rah sitting in
Long Beach Harbor and we sailed it quite a bit to Catalina and other local
points.  So all in all I wasn't too rusty.  Besides, it is such an adventure
to sail, and adventures stick with you!

We are located in Phoenix.  We picked up a previous member of this blog's
boat.  Just Bent.  It is a Cadillac compared to the Clipper!  We have sailed
her many times since her acquisition on Lake Pleasant.  A lake just North of
Phoenix.  It's not hard to find water on a map in this state.  She was in a
pretty neglected state of affairs when purchased.  I am a retired aircraft
mechanic/pilot, so it was an enjoyable challenge to bring her up to specs!
Many weeks of repairs were needed.  One of my last tasks is to rebuild the
front edge of the swing keel.  Glad I can get at the keel while still on the
trailer! Impressive.

She sails beautifully, heals nicely and is at least twice as heavy as the
Clipper, so it rides waves/wakes wonderfully.  She trailers quite nicely and
will need to do so a lot.  You see we live in a motor home and will be
towing her all across the country.  It came with the mast stepping option,
IE the crutch, winch pole etc. After doing the research on her she has all
the options out there except for the cockpit chairs and remote throttle for
the motor.

Love the IMF!  More precisely, the Admiral loves the IMF as she was usually
the one to wrestle with all that sail material. So as we all know, going
from full sail to reefed on both the Genoa and Mail takes only about 20
seconds......again impressive.

I know I'm 6 days late is this offering, (and in the digital era, that a
lifetime) but Happy New Year!