[Rhodes22-list] Drone video of Fretless

Olivier Hecht ohecht at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 3 18:31:13 EDT 2016

It's a DJI Phantom 4 that uses a 4K camera. I launched and retrieved it from my hands off the port quarter. At the time we were running and that was the windward side so it was as far away from the sails as I could get it and it was the safest departure and approach route based on the direction of the boat. Launching anchored or even drifting without any sails up would be easier and is what I would do if the conditions were any breezier than what we had yesterday at the time.

Launching and catching the drone by hand is not as dangerous as it sounds once you're used to flying it based on the stability of the drone. It uses the GPS and Russian satellite networks simultaneously and often is tracking between 15 and 20 satellites.  It will hover exactly in place when you're not actively steering it.

The trick to launch is to turn off the GPS stabilization because otherwise the drone tries to stabilize itself against the forward motion of the boat. So I launched in "manual" flight mode and fights you as you hold it before launch.  For landing I left it fully stabilized and brought it in very carefully until I could grab the landing gear as it hovered just over and slightly away from the gunwale. The thing to watch there is the "ground effect" as the turbulence from the rotors bounces off parts of the boat.

I wouldn't do this casually but wanted to prove the concept at least. It's an odd thing to have on board but could be a useful tool in many situations where you need to "scout ahead" of your boat for whatever reason...