[Rhodes22-list] caul

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Fri Jul 8 16:27:45 EDT 2016

Richard:

There has been a lot written on this list on the subject that you might want
to check out.  Generally the consensus seems to be 3M 5200 or 4200 or
equivalent amongst available marine sealants. These products are excellent
sealants but also have tremendous adhesive qualities that actually
strengthen the boat. That said, Rummy found a sealant which I think was
capped NP1 that he swore by. Apparently you can get it at Home Depot in the
US - but not Canada. Do NOT use silicone for anything except Plexiglas

I will be sealing the joint on my boat once the rub rail I ordered comes in.
I plan to use 3M 4200. You do not want to use 5200 for any situation where
there is any possibility that you might want to remove it later. If you do,
you will need a grinder to get it off. If you are not removing the rivets,
rub rail and completely removing any sealant in the joint there is a pretty
good chance that you will be resealing the joint in a few years so I would
definitely not use 5200 in this situation. I am doing the whole job and
still would not use 5200 as it is just too unforgiving.

Graham Stewart
Agile. R22, 1976
Kingston Ontario Canada