[Rhodes22-list] Rudder hold down

Michael Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Jul 20 09:04:13 EDT 2016

We use the same cleat for the rudder.  You may read about it at:
http://www.clamcleat.com/cleats/cleat_details.asp?theid2=78

It is available for $27.99 at West Marine
(http://www.westmarine.com/buy/clamcleat--auto-release-rudder-cleat--1158443
) or less than $19 on Amazon
(https://www.amazon.com/Clamcleat-CL257-Release-Cleat-Rudders/dp/B003AFIL62)

Mike
s/v Wind Lass ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY

Hello Charles,

This cam cleat has worked quite well on several occasions where I "bumped"
the rudder and wasn't ready enough to release it myself.  I didn't know how
old the cleat was on the boat when I bought it.  It looked a bit worn and
seemed to "release" easily, so I replaced it.  The new one works much
better.  The great thing about this cleat is you can pull the "down line" in
just a split second if you see trouble and allow the rudder to swing aft and
still have the insurance of the cleat releasing "automatically"  in case you
don't see any issues.

When we sailed Lake Powell a month ago, the water level changed 30' in the 3
weeks we were exploring the lake.  Yep, we bumped the rudder on occasion.
The water level hasn't changed but a few feet in the 2 weeks we have been on
Flaming Gorge Nat. Res.

I see your a Texas sailor.  Out west, where it is quite rocky in the lakes,
we have rocks pop up often based on the changes in lake water level, as I am
sure you have noticed!

Here is a Pic.

<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/n52374/DSC_0436.jpg>