[Rhodes22-list] Sailing right angles

Cary Tolbert retiredtoby at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 23:15:47 EDT 2016

Chris, I too changed to the 130 jib. I found,from the list, to set the
center board at about 3/4 of full down also helps. I have an 86 with the
standard old
centerboard. I moved one battery from the lazerth (? sp.)to the location of
the cabin battery next to the 15 gallon water tank,  forward of the head
under the V berth. I now have 2 batteries, and 15 gallons of water forward
of the mast. This should be about 220 lbs, then I stored 25 ft. of chain
and 300 ft. of rode in an anchor bag forward in the V berth. I estimate
this is another 50 lbs. forward of the mast.
I have a 6 gallon gas tank so I estimate that I need an additional 25 lbs.
forward to compensate for the extra 3 gallons. I gave up on the Windex and
now use tell tails for sails attached to the shrouds as my wind indicators.
This is truly my guesstimate, but it seem that I can sail 35-40 degrees to
the wind. I normally sail solo so less weight may be part of my gain.  If
the wind is above 5 to 7 knots, I just use about 100 sq ft of the 130
available on the jib.
I also make sure the shrouds are firm all a round. An old sailor and former
owner of a sail boat franchise once told me most people TRY to sail with
TOO much sail. I try to keep that in mind. Sailing, like life seems to be a
continuous learning experience.

I also miss "Rummy" and his perspective on current issues of the day.

Cary Tolbert
s/v Whisper '86
Radford, Va