[Rhodes22-list] Sailing right angles

Rick sloopblueheron at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 13:55:34 EDT 2016

Cary, your answer clearly points to the main sail, not the foresail, as the
main problem of pointing with an IMF rig.

Phil Rhodes designed the boat to carry a standard mast and main with the
center of force directly over a vertical centerboard.  This allowed
pointing at 40 deg, or even less, off the wind.

When Stan put on the IMF mast, that pulled the sail plan center of force
aft, requiring the centerboard to be set aft as well.  The smaller size and
sloppier shape of the furling main are probably the main factors.

Introducing the diamond board set things right again with an IMF, at least
as far as balance resulting in a neutral helm.  If you look at a diamond
board all the way down, it looks like a centerboard 3/4 of the way down.
But still, the center of force remains too far aft for the hull design to
point very high.  Tilting the mast forward by putting weight forward and
shortening the forestay helps some, but the foresail itself has little to
do with it.

Single handed, I can point at 45 deg in rare ideal conditions (a steady
10-12kt wind and no waves) with the pop top down and sitting forward in the
cockpit using a 170 genny.  In this perfect situation, I tack with the
autohelm through 100 deg and when the boat regains speed, come back up 10
deg.

The only advantage I can see with the 130 genny is better sail shape at
higher wind speeds.  For my money, the 170 works best in most of the
situations I am comfortable sailing these days.

Rick