[Rhodes22-list] hull-deck join fastening

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Wed Jun 15 13:13:53 EDT 2016

Ric:

Thanks for the response. That is very helpful and confirms what I thought was the construction of the hull-deck join.

Of course every answer leads to another question: Did you replace the track or just the insert? Why did you switch from rivets to screws? As I understand it, the track and the rivets are integral to the strength of the join and I would worry that screws might work their way out while rivets are much less likely to.

I destroyed the aluminium track on my boat in the process of removing it so I have to start from scratch with a new rail and at this point am inclined towards the Tessilmare Radial Flexible Rub Rail (see http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=56893 ). It consists of a flexible track that and a PVC bumper cover. I thought I would use the same method of installation as on the boat originally - attaching the track with rivets or possibly even bolts if I can't find the rivets.

Does anyone know what rivets are used now for this purpose. I am thinking that 3/16 aluminium rivets with a grip of about .6" and a flat or countersink head looks about right but would very much appreciate having this confirmed or corrected.

Graham Stewart
Agile. R22, 1976
Kingston Ontario Canada