[Rhodes22-list] Triad Trailer brakes and adjustments

talbotpratt talbotpratt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 19:29:05 EDT 2016

My new/used 89 Rhodes22 came with a 5 year old Triad custom trailer.

First, the simple question:  Brakes are rusted and unusable without service,
and I was told it is not worth trying to keep them working since the boat is
launched in salt water.  What do you think?

Second:   The trailer is the custom built Triad Rhodes 22 model. ei. no
adjustments other than extending the v shaped bow cushion arm that the stem
is snug into.  When the boat was last loaded it appears to have been pulled
up toop far on the trailer.  First, the tongue weight appeared really heavy
based on the effort needed to crank up the swivel wheel and the load when
hitched to a large tow vehicle.  Second, the forward end of the long bunks
was denting the hull on both sides. I put a temporary cross piece in about 6
feet aft of the bow and jacked up several inches to take the load there in
order to pop the dents back out.   I have since launched the boat for the
season but need to figure out how to set up the trailer better before
reloading this fall.
If I extend to v shaped cushion arm out all the way I can move the boat
about 6-8" farther back on the trailer. That will help some, as the hull
will be a little thinner and less weight will be forward of the bunks.  But
I don't think that will be enough.   Plus, when I look at the trailer, I'm
surprised that ALL the weight is on those two long bunks.  There is nothing
under the keel, nor under the bow section.  I don't understand why it was
done like that.  Anybody with a Triad trailer that can help me?

Talbot
Rhodes22 89/08  "Remains Nameless"