[Rhodes22-list] Triad Trailer brakes and adjustments

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Jun 30 12:20:59 EDT 2016

Graham,

My original Rhodes 22, a 1981 owned for 32 years before being sold, always
had a "dent" in the starboard area at the forward end of the Triad trailer
bunk.  Stan said that he had seen it in several boats and not to worry about
it at delivery.  I never was concerned and it did not become an issue.  The
hull did not "undent" when launched.  I always thought that the hull had
been too "soft" when it was initially placed on the trailer, molding the
glass and gel coat due to stress.  In 1981, the hulls were built in Canada
and transported to Stan's factory on Long Island, presumably on a Triad
trailer. Possibly several hulls were shipped one inside another, placing a
fair amount of weight on the bottom one.

Further to the questions about keel support.  Please do not support or jack
a Rhodes 22 from the keel.  I have seen too many boats that have required
extensive repairs as a result.  If you need to lift, winch using the forward
or stern eyes and a substantial frame.  I lift my boat off the trailer for
bottom painting each year using 4x4 framing and an 8,000 lb comealong.
Large pieces of wood should be used in the stern if the boat is placed on
jacks, to spread out the load.  The best storage system is a Triad trailer.

As far as the trailer is concerned, the only support is from the bunks.  The
V-shaped frame in the rear is to guide the boat onto the trailer.  The two
boards that are parallel to and on either side of the keel are to center the
keel.  The roller at the rear is to lift the centerboard which may be used
to guide the boat on to the trailer during recovery.  The centerboard and
rudder should be in the fully up position during launch and transport to
avoid damage.  Remember to lift and secure all stern items (rudder & motor)
before hauling the trailer out of the water.  Yes, that is the voice of
experience you hear.

Mike
s/v Wind Lass  ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: Rhodes22-list [mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of
Graham Stewart

Talbot:

That encourages me to go at this problem again.

Graham Stewart
Agile. R22, 1976
Kingston Ontario Canada