[Rhodes22-list] Best Laid Plans - Trailering

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Wed Mar 2 17:02:08 EST 2016

You may recall that a couple of weeks ago someone asked about how I was going to be using the boat that Stan is currently recycling for me.  I explained how I was going to be a real trailer-sailor, carting the boat to sailing destinations all over New England.  Well, it turns out it is not to be, at least this year.

I got a recall notice for my 2007 Toyota Tacoma having to do with possible frame corrosion.  I took the truck to the dealer for inspection, and sure enough I’ve got holes in my frame.  The good news is that they will replace the frame with a brand new one at no cost to me (so they say).  The bad news is they consider the truck in its current state to be unsafe, and they won’t give it back to me until the new frame is installed.  The really bad news is that there’s a six month backlog in the production of new frames.

My first issue will be how to get my new recycled boat from NC to CT once its ready.  The dealer may lend me a tow-capable truck for a week (they’re looking into it), or I could rent one, or I could have Stan arrange for the boat to be delivered.  (BTW, the only place I’ve found that rents tow-cabable pickup trucks is U-Haul.  Does anyone have any experience renting a U-Haul for towing their own trailer?)

But however it happens, once I get the boat to CT, towing it to the ramp for every sail is no longer going to be an option.  I’m going to need a mooring, and there will be a bunch of new issues that will come along with that.  For example, I guess I’m going to need some sort of lock for the outboard.

I’ve picked out a small marina in Groton, just east of the Thames river.  I’m going to go take a look tomorrow, and I’ll probably write them a check for the season.

I’m assuming that this will work out OK.  I probably would not have gotten up to the Maine coast in my first season anyway, and there’s certainly plenty of great sailing to be had in the area. I’m just going to have to work out a few new things, and get used to the idea that I won’t have the boat at home to fiddle with between sailing trips.

Thanks for listening,

Peter Nyberg
Coventry CT
No Boat Yet