[Rhodes22-list] Botttom cleaning a trailered boat

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Mon Mar 14 14:38:21 EDT 2016

Bob:

I built a lift to do repairs to my keel and will use it for this purpose as well, but before that I found that placing a heavy beam across the rear struts of the trailer and then using a jack to lift the hull a few inches. I did the same at the bow. By lifting from the trailer frame rather than the ground, you do not have to raise the boat more than a few inches as the wheel springs stay compressed.

As the weight of the boat is lifted, gradually tap in wedges between the hull and the bunks. You want the wedges to be reasonably large such as ones made from a piece of 4x4 cut diagonally from a piece about 12 "" long. You can use 2x4 material but you would probably want to se more of them. The bunks flex and it takes relatively little effort to tap in the wedges. Keep jacking up the boat a bit at a time and gradually tap in the wedges until there is a two inch gap.  A couple of  inches is adequate to clean the hull and for a paint roller to pass. Using the wedges keeps the boat upright, balanced and always supported by the trailer bunks. I use two on each side and then use additional ones so that I can remove the first set to clean paint under where they were.

To lower the boat just do the reverse by gradually tapping out the wedges while lowering the boat. it returns exactly where it started on the trailer.

While this approach us a bit fussy, it is easy to do by a single person. Make sure that the rig is level and secure with wheels blocked before you start.

Graham

Graham Stewart
Agile. R22, 1976
Kingston Ontario Canada