[Rhodes22-list] ***POSSIBLE SPAM*** Centerboard cap reattach

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Sat Apr 29 14:54:39 EDT 2017

I've had my CB out 3 times in the 13 years I've had her,twice hen I
knocked a hole in the CB cap. First time when I launched her and forgot to
secure the centerboard pendent, and the CB hit the ground as it was
sliding off the trailer, and the he full weight of the boat was on the CB
cap. It put a dent in the cap bout the size if a baseball and cracked the
top of the dent enough to to let about 2" of water cover the cabin floor ,
before I noticed it.  The extra water in the boat made it a little bit of
a low rider and a lot harder to get back on the trailer. I just put a few
layer of fiberglass over the dent and cracks and that lasted about 5
years, when I hit something underwater that jammed the CB up against the
cap with enough to force to recrack
the cap dent. The first time I removed the cap ,was when I removed all the
bottom paint to change from ablative to hard paint.
  I replaced the gasket the 1st and 3rd times, and I used silicone sealent
RTV ( room temperature valconization) ,top and bottom of the gasket,
each time. The last time, last year, the screw holes were just about
stripped, so I thru-bolted it back down, except for 4 or 6 holes around
the CB pivot pin where there was not enough  bottom flange to get a nut
on the bottom. I filled those holes with epoxy and redrilled them.
 If you are not thru bolted, it would be smart to notice as you are
tightening the screws, that they are getting tighter and not stripping
out the fiberglass.
When you start your second round of tightening, if you back off the screw
about a 1/4 of a turn, before tightening down, you eliminate the break-
away torque and get a better feel for how tight you are getting the screw.
Whether or not you use sealant, I would highly recommend once you get the
cap secured, don't reassemble the rest of the interior. Instead , take it
to a close lake,and float it around for an hour or two. Take a flashlight
and some paper towels and dab all around the edges of the cap to check for
leaks. If it leaks,tighten the fasteners around the leak. If you can't get
it to stop, new gasket and/ or sealent.

Jerry Lowe

ello Rhodies: