[Rhodes22-list] motor access with aft stay mounted traveller

Curtis Ruck ruckc at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 2 23:50:59 EDT 2017

I just assembled my own windward traveler (Harken) rig.  My old setup as it
came from previous owner was two pulleys and two ropes... nearly impossible
to adjust under sail.  My boat also has zero lifelines or rails to mount a
traveler to.

 I mounted the Harken track on 1" OD fiberglass tubing for strength between
backstays.  For the backstays, since i had to replace them due to a mast
folding incident last fall, with assistance from a machine shop, took two
short 4" pieces 1.25" OD stainless tubing and had them drill 2 holes all
the way through the tubing.  In the holes for the back stays, i inserted
1/4" OD stainless tubing and flared the ends (like you would with an
automotive brake line).  The 1/8 ends were flared while inserted in the
traveler rail sleeve, to provide a "low" friction channel for the backstays
to run through.  I then swaged the sleeves onto the backstay.

[image: IMG_20170730_150748.jpg]
If you look in the attached photo, behind my 6 year old daughter at the
tiller, you can see my windward traveler rig.  And yes, I take my 2 and 4
year old children out also...