[Rhodes22-list] IMF Mainsail Article

S/V Lark Colealexander at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 16 19:18:44 EDT 2017

Since I found the Rhodes 22 through the online archive while researching
other boats, I figured I'd post this response for future surfers.

That's why I kept the Bucc (that and the fact its worth more if I take a
chainsaw to it and sell the organs).   If I want to go fast and look at
beautiful sail shape, I still can.   The Rhodes-22 will sort of plane under
perfect conditions though.  It points well if you fly a full jib or sheet it
inboard when reefed.
The LWL does provides a hull speed better then most 22's.   So its
performance is still respectable for a 'mini furniture boat'.

If I want to go sailing after work I don't care how fast I go since I'm the
only sailboat in view.  I am alone, tired, and don't want to spend half my
time rolling sails afterword.  The Rhodes 22 with in mast furling will be
under sail 10 minutes after I turn off the car.   If you are worried about
sailshape you surely aren't flaking your precious sail into lazy jacks and
ruining it with folds, so you have to drop and roll your sails every time.

If I want to spend a few hours without concern of swimming and I'm dumping
wind in the gusts anyway, the lack of a roach and pocket is an advantage.
The traveler system and responsive handling make short tacking easy for one
person.   Half the boats I see are using only one sail, and they aren't
catboats.  They are just sacrificing performance and handling in order to
approximate the convenience of a Rhodes 22.

The Rhodes-22 is very good at what it does, but it can't do everything.
I'm sure if I was into long distance cruising or racing with a crew the IMF
would be a negative.   For convenient single handed slip launched daysailing
and especially after work sails it cannot be beat.  For flexible sailplan in
variable winds without a cabin full of sailbags, it has advantage.    In my
case that is 95% of my hours under sail.    For the other 5%, the pocket
cruiser interior and comfortable cockpit for several outweigh the
disadvantage of sail shape.

Alex.  2002 R-22 "Lark" and 1976 Buccaneer 18 "Hydrophilic".

-----
Alex Cole
S/V Lark