[Rhodes22-list] Cockpit Waterproofing

Jay Curry jac2 at wavecable.com
Sat Feb 18 15:57:09 EST 2017

Hi Folks. Here goes.... Been a while since I have been on the list. I own a 1992 factory refurbished Rhodes 22 with IMF purchased in 2012. This summer will be our 5th full season with the boat. I sail it in Sequim Bay and in the Straight of Juan De Fuca near Sequim and Port Angeles, WA. We  no longer use the 175 Jib and instead use a 100% jib set up with a self tailing rig as a well as the standard jib sheets. Both jib sheet arrangements are always connected and can be used alternately for any conditions. As a result, the boat is stable and safe for single handling in even high wind conditions, something impossible with the 175 jib unless you have a crew. On a minor note, the concave shape of the hull catches high winds, heels the boat and allows it to be "sailed" with the sails down when the winds are up. That is not a good thing. I am still not sold on the concave shape. It may be great for preventing splashing, but from a safety standpoint, I think it has its draw backs.

Outside the protected Bay, conditions can change in a heart beat and subject the boat to high winds and if those winds oppose the current, significant wave heights. The nearest islands are a 30 mile trip and weather windows are not always accurate due to all the micro climates in the area. They do not even try to forecast local winds. As you all know, the cockpit pan that sits under the hull cap and cockpit seats is open on the top edge. Any wave splashing over the stern will easily enter the boat cabin from over the top edges of that cockpit pan under the seats. The single drain hole at the back of the cockpit floor is completely inadequate for allowing large amounts of water to escape quickly. Successive waves would easily swamp the boat and require extensive bailing. In addition, you cold easily find yourself "surfing" some waves requiring solid steering control to prevent capsizing. The boat is very susceptible to loss of steering and to digging into the water if the wave hits from the stern. Any review of the stories where the rare capsizing has happened with this boat will confirm that scenario.  So...

Two items of interest.

1. I know that at least one owner in Florida who sails the Atlantic has sealed the cockpit pan top edges. How he did it is not known. There are two alternatives. One would be to glass between the top edges of the pan and the underside of the seat. The other would be to install walls from the front edge of the seats to the floor of the cockpit. But, this alternative would have to be very strong. The last problem is how to create a self bailing arrangement. If you extended the center section of the cockpit floor to the stern under the stern seat, you would sacrifice some storage, but have a very adequate path to evacuate water and maintain the structural strength of the stern.

Has anyone on the list done this or researched it?

2. Any ideas on how to use a different rudder configuration or larger rudder with the existing stern configuration to allow a more robust steering control in forced, unavoidable surfing situations?

Thanks in advance for any input you have. I am also open to any questions.

Jay
Port Angeles, WA