[Rhodes22-list] Cockpit Waterproofing response to Rick

Jay Curry jac2 at wavecable.com
Mon Feb 20 15:42:45 EST 2017

Shawn: Thanks for the response and support on the drainage.

To Shawn, Rick and any others considering responding to my comments on the
175, please stop. I experimented for two full summers with every conceivable
combination of reefing, boom position and sheet placement before coming to
the inescapable conclusion that a different sail was needed for my purposes.
If you enjoy the 175, more power to you. But, assuming (by the content of
your response) that my comments on it are a result of inexperience, lack of
experimentation or laziness is insulting and unnecessary. I do not need an
education on sail handling.

I am interested only in the floor pan seal and modification of the storage
area under rear seats for self bailing. It is NOT an attempt to create a
blue water boat. But as others on the list note, sailing in blue water near
shore in this type of boat is common where I live and where others live.
Sailing the San Juan Islands is and has been done often by other Rhodes
owners. There is a group sail of small boats in the Islands each year.
Making this boat more prepared for severe conditions, does not change what
it is, it just makes it safer and even more capable. I see no harm in
pursuing it especially if the change improves what it is and does not
sacrifice structural or sailing capability.

The possibilities of owner modifications of this boat are part of makes it
such an attractive pocket cruiser. I am trying to honor that use and
process. Your help, is appreciated.

Jay