[Rhodes22-list] Seaworthiness and survivability thoughts.

mtroy at atlanticbb.net mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Thu Feb 23 06:44:32 EST 2017

A couple of points from collective memory. If you go to
the rhodes22.org FAQ, and click on Stories, then Sailing
the Chesapeake, you can read David Dawson‘s account of a
near capsize when he underestimated winds coming out of a
cove where he had anchored.

If you go back to where you clicked on stories and then
click on the FAQ link in the center, there is an
alphabetical collection by topic of advice and narrative
from the earlier days of the list. Click on Capsize and
you can read Paul Cleavager's account of his R22 turtling
under power in a microburst.

Further discussion of this incident at the time noted that
the water where the capsize occurred was less than 20 feet
deep so the mast on the bottom may have contributed to the
boat not turning upright after the incident. Also note
that there were many other capsizes in that storm
including if memory serves, a boat or two over 30 feet.

Also note it was the wallof water wave pushed by the storm
and not the wind itself that capsized the boat.

Mary Lou
ex-Rhodes 22
now Rosborough RF-246