[Rhodes22-list] mast lighting

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Thu Feb 23 15:51:20 EST 2017

Don’t assume that just because you’ve got two conductors running up the inside of the mast that you’ve only got a two conductor plug on deck.  My boat came with only two conductors running up the mast, but the plug can handle up to four conductors.

When I got my boat, the mast was wired for a steaming light.  I knew I was far more likely to be anchoring than motoring at night, so I rewired for a 360 degree masthead anchor light.  Maybe someday I’ll rewire in the cabin and up the mast to have a full set of proper lights, but until then if I ever find myself motoring at night my plan is to turn on the anchor light and cover the stern light.  I’d be showing port, starboard and 360 degrees of white.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)