[Rhodes22-list] Heaving To

kg4ezq jason_q at jasonquick.com
Sun Feb 26 22:31:47 EST 2017

Well I took everyone's input into consideration but I was never satisfied
with the idea that the boat couldn't heave to close to the wind like any
other boat, so I kept experimenting and tonight I figured it out. Actually
it should have been obvious and I'm a little embarrassed it didn't occur to
me sooner.

If the jib sheet is brought inside the upper shroud the boat will heave to
perfectly about 45-50 degrees off the wind. This makes total sense, as you
have to do the same thing to sail close to the wind. A back-winded sail is
still a sail, so if you want to go close to the wind you have to be
close-hauled.

--Jason