[Rhodes22-list] Heaving To

kg4ezq jason_q at jasonquick.com
Thu Jan 5 13:19:56 EST 2017

Thanks to all again for the tips. I've been experimenting and while I've not
gotten the boat to point as high as I would like while hove to I have
learned the following:

1) Sheeting the main all the way in gets the bow about 10-15 degrees higher.
This makes some sense when the CLR is considered. In any case luffing the
main seems to produce the opposite of the desired effect. I have also
experimented with bringing the traveler up to windward but this produces no
noticeable difference.

2) Rudder angle adjustments have no meaningful effect. Reducing rudder angle
enough to move the bow allows the boat to turn down and break out of the
heave.

3) The boat will heave to only slightly further downwind (right at 90
degrees) with head sail only, provided there is sufficient wind for the
amount of sail that's out, but it is less stable than with the main up and
gusty winds can cause issues.

4) It's not terribly difficult to get underway again on the same tack by
gybing through if the rudder is centered rather than put hard over, allowing
the boat to build some forward speed as it turns.

--Jason

Goodness wrote