[Rhodes22-list] Nav software to get to the water.

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Mon Jul 10 08:34:01 EDT 2017

Look for the GPS units designed for truckers and RVers. From various
online conversations (but no true knowledge about such things), there
are Rand McNally branded units specifically designed for truckers and
ones designed for Rvers. They might suit your purpose.

However you plan routes, I believe there are enough glitches in the data
out there, that it pays to doublecheck the route on some other device
(that gets its data from a different source - Garmin and Google for
example) or on a map.

When we travel with the RV, we plan out a route in advance, usually on
Google Maps and then use the Garmin for turn by turn in the truck. I do
think the Garmin algorithms and/or data are not as good as they once
were - we seem to get more weird detours on and off highways for example
- so in the past year or two we often back it up with Google Maps on one
of the smart phones. We also use Google Maps for traffic though I know a
lot of people who use the Waze app on their smartphones.

We were paper map users for a long time and for a long time after that,
supplemented the Garmin GPS with paper maps but it's hard to keep enough
maps on board to get the block by block and backroad detail that you get
easily (and mostly accurately) with the electronic devices. We usually
still have maps in the truck but rarely refer to them.

On the boat we use Navionics charts on a Samsung tablet - now that we
are powerboaters with an enclosed helm, this became an easy option -
backed up with a handheld GPS and various chartbooks. The Navionics app
is updated constantly. The printed charts give us the big picture. We
also use the Active Captain online service for cruise planning in
addition to various cruising guides.

Hope some of this is helpful,

Mary Lou
ex-R22