[Rhodes22-list] Lesson to be learned

Richard Beytagh rbeytagh at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 09:42:39 EDT 2017

I recently hauled my R22 "Waif" to one of our nearby mountain lakes for an
extended weekend of sailing, fishing and camping with the family. I slept
on the boat of course. Returning to my home lake in Asheville on Monday I
gave her a good clean, popped up the mast and launched her at our
rinky-dink, but adequate ramp.

Here's where things went wrong....assuming that the center-board was still
firmly cleated-up from when I hauled her out a few hours ago, I didn't
check this before launching and the CB obviously dropped down and got
caught when I retrieved the trailer. I did not notice it until I got on the
boat a few minutes later and found 6 inches of water covering the
floor-boards. Catching the CB on the launch had caused the CB cap to spring
a leak and water was gushing in.

Trying not to panic I knew I had to get her her out of the water ASAP
before she became too waterlogged. The CB was now jammed so I hauled her
out with it in the down position....this was not good! It drove the CB up
through the floor boards and shattered the CB cap.

So my act of omission has resulted in a few weeks work on the boat (in peak
sailing time) and a red face when explaining this to my sailing buddies.
Lesson learned!

Richard Beytagh
Phone: 828 337 0180