[Rhodes22-list] Lesson to be learned

Joe Camp jjcampjr at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 11 18:57:47 EDT 2017

Richard:
     this is my own quintessential been there, done that moment.  While working on my boat two off seasons ago, I (too) forgot to cleat the pennant line for the center board.  My boat would not come off the trailer.  When we pulled it out, the hull became wedged on the trailer at what would be a twenty degree hell (on the water).  The "not on the water" part really sucked. I don't know if having the  special Spitzer R-22 trailer was a factor, but we got it back in the water with my Johnny on the spot (let's call him co-captain) buddy Tim aboard.

     Tim manned the CB pennant while I returned boat and trailer to the water.  It barely floated off the bunks; Tim got the CB up.  We hauled, checked for damage (none seen) and launched again w/o trouble.  We were the morning's entertainment for a squad of volunteer firefighters practicing their drafting skills on a space near the ramp. Yeah, they laughed, but it was deserved ridicule, and we took it like men.

     The real lesson learned (for me and you) is that everybody does something classically stupid every so often. Hopefully, we are not stupid too regularly.  Keep your top knot tight and your cabin dry!
Joe Camp
s/v John Dawson
Bohemia River, MD