[Rhodes22-list] FW: that wrench

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Fri Jun 16 20:21:27 EDT 2017

Rob:

If you are looking for a way to fish wired above the cabin liner then I
don't think that can be done as there is solid core throughout the cabin
top. Why would you want to do that?

Fishing wires in the space between the cockpit and the cabin liner is a pain
- particularly if the wires have plugs on them that can't be removed as was
the case with my instruments. I have attached a picture of my companionway
with the instruments to show you where I needed to get the wires to. There
is a bend in the wall just below the instruments where the inside space
narrows considerably. Having done this several times I have found that the
best route is to feed the wires up from under the seats where you can feed
the wires up above the bend and then in towards the companion way. In my
case there is a piece of wood above and parallel to the bend on the port
side - a few inches below where the compass is mounted. I don't know why it
is there or whether this is typical. You need to go around the outside end
of the wood piece as you will otherwise be blocked or even worse get jammed.

To feed the wires I found that the best tool is a standard electricians fish
tape but the hook on the end needs to be modified. Fist the hook will catch
on all manner of objects and wires and when that happens it can be a devil
of a problem to retrieve it.  Secondly, you need to have a way to grab the
end when it reaches the hole you are aiming for. The attached picture shows
how I modified the fish with tape to close off the hook and the addition of
a loop of twine to give you something to grab. I push the fish into the
space until it reaches the destination hole, pull the end of the tape
through the hole using the twine loop, and then attach the wires to the
twine loop and pull the fish back.

Inside the cabin I found that the best place to feed wires fore and aft is
under the port seat using hangers attached to the ledge that supports the
seat. As I have my battery located with the holding tank under the Vee birth
and the electrical panel located on the main bulkhead  by the toilet I have
quite a few wires located under the seat and then routed under the floor
boards and up the compression post to the panel. If you would like a picture
of this arrangement  just let me know.

I hope that helps.

Graham Stewart
Agile. R22, 1976