[Rhodes22-list] Ethanol problems

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sun Jun 18 15:55:41 EDT 2017

Hi Susan,
While Rick is right that ethanol does not build up, ethanol gas degrades
quickly, phase separates and attracts water. (the additives are supposed
to slow this) and the residue can indeed foul your carburetor.  The gas
in your can could also be bad. Did you start with fresh gas at the
beginning of the season? The fact that your motor ran perfectly for a
few outings last summer does seem to indicate a fuel problem. You might
want to try a fresh can of ethanol-free gas an see what happens.

When we had problems years ago with our Yamaha we took it to Jim's
Marine in Galena, MD. He cleaned the carb and tuned it up. He suggested
that if we wanted to keep it running that way to use ethanol free gas.
He also said that we should NOT run the motor out of fuel (which we had
been doing) because even when you run it out, some fuel remains in the
carb and can varnish the surfaces. We started using ethanol free gas
(which we could find in Easton) and never had a bit of trouble for the 3
or 4 years after that that we owned the boat. You might want to talk to
Jim as I see on his website, he is also a Mercury dealer and services
those motors.

BTW, according to several articles I've read, E15 gas will void the
warranty on most marine engines. A better solution seems to be
isobutanol which was recently approved for marine use in Maryland and is
now evidently available at least at one place in Annapolis.
http://www.boatingmag.com/ethanol-versus-isobutanol
Also
https://www.chesapeakebaymagazine.com/talkofthebay/2017/4/6/bay-bulletin

Where did you find ethanol free gas? We have a much bigger outboard on
Tara but have managed so far to keep it ethanol free by bringing fuel up
from Easton or going south for filling the tank.

The best list I've found for finding ethanol free gas is
https://www.pure-gas.org/

Good luck,
Mary Lou

ex Rhodes 22