[Rhodes22-list] forestay length and furling gear

Gary Novotny gjnovotny at comcast.net
Mon Jun 26 08:42:47 EDT 2017

Graham,

I have the Alado A0 on my Rhodes 22 and I'm happy with it. When I bought
my Rhodes it came with a furler that was missing most of it's parts so I
bought the Alado. It was very easy to install and has mostly worked
well. The only significant problem I had occurred about 10 months ago
when the forestay broke off right at the bottom swage fitting while
sailing. At the time, the forestay was only 2 years old as I had
replaced it at the same time as the furler. The forestay break was not
catastrophic to the boat as I quickly used a halyard as a temporary stay
and limped home.

I discussed this with a rigger (not the one who created that stay). He
examined the stay and concluded that the problem was not improper
swagging which was my conclusion but due to the rigging not allowing for
the continuous port to starboard movement of the stay while underway. He
suggested making the replacement stay slightly shorter and adding
fittings that would allow for some side to side movement. I also made
the new stay bigger in diameter.

I use my alado with a fairly large genoa which is bigger than a 160.
This sail is too big actually, I'd prefer a 135, but this genoa came
with the boat. To convert to the Alado, I had to have a sail maker
modify the genoa to have the proper bolt tape for the alado foil.

The only furler issue I have had is really my own doing. I installed a
furler line that is a little too large in diameter and sometimes when
unfurling the line binds up in the hub, which requires pulling it in
some and then re-releasing.

Hope this helps.

Gary

S/V Moon Shadow 1978 Rhodes 22