[Rhodes22-list] SAILING TO ITALY

Chris Geankoplis chrisgeankoplis at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 22:44:38 EDT 2017

There was an agreement back in 1985 that sought to established a unified
market and tax structure for the members.  one of the provisions restricts
how long a boat that hadn't paid the VAT tax may stay in those group of
countries.  With a few exceptions and loopholes a boat a non-EU boat can
stay up to 18 months before having to leave the "the Schengen area".  Some
countries are EU members but not fully are not part of the agreement.
Others such as Turkey, Albania and Montenegro are not members of the EU.
So I would have to go there and leave the boat there for the winter before
entering the Schengen area again.  Hey don't knock reservoir   sailing,
 most of the actual time I spent sailing with this current Rhodes was on a
reservoir in the Cascades.  But I hope perhaps a small seed of wanderlust
has been planted among a few Rhodies.

Chris G.