[Rhodes22-list] Advice / Recommendations - Purchase of used Rhodes 22

JP Dempsey joedempsey at hughes.net
Fri Jun 30 14:12:41 EDT 2017

I have just an experience with my Triad Rhodes22 trailer. After bringing the
boat and trailer to my home, I had the trailer inspected prior to my first
trip. It passed okay and they lubricated the hubs. I made round trip to the
boat yard about 140 miles away, leaving "Respite" on the hard through the
winter where some work was done on it. I returned home with the trailer. I
added lube to the hubs ( (Triad uses the E-Z Lube hubs by Tie Down
Engineering and was somewhat curious that no grease was coming out of the
exit port (my term) but it kept taking the grease. Upon removing the wheel
and bearings I found them to be rusted and the brake drum FULL of grease. I
removed the bearings, races etc and ordered new ones based on the numbers of
what came out.  WRONG!  The bearings were correct but the seals were the
next larger size. I had made numerous calls to Tie Down (hub manufacturer)
which during that period actually sold their Marine Division to Dexter Axel
. I found several discrepancies that did not jive with the documentation
that came with the trailer.  Specifically, the trailer is a 2009 model. Tie
Down has two versions of their EZ hub...Pre-2002 and post-2002. My hubs, as
it turns out, are the pre-2002 version. Very strange! As it turned out, the
bearings WERE the correct bearings, the SEAL that came out was too big. It
was for a 2-1/4" dia. spindle (axle). The axles on my trailer are actually
2-1/8" dia. !!  Both use the same bearings, it is just the seals that are
different. ALSO be sure the seals are the spring loaded double lip seal
(these are easily identified by the rubber coating over the entire seal) NOT
the metal seals. I still am not getting the flow of "old" grease so probably
have to remove bearings again and inspect the races between the hub and axle
for caked grease and rust. Re-lube your trailer axles after launch if you
have standard hubs. If you have the EZ lube hubs, identified by the grease
fitting behind a rubber plug in the center of the hub, you don't have to
lubricate as often, according to the mfgr. but more often is better.

-----
JP Dempsey
s/v Respite
Marshall,VA