[Rhodes22-list] Nav software to get to the water.

S/V Lark Colealexander at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 30 23:54:32 EDT 2017

Coming back from Kentucky Lake my Waze navigation software redirected me from
a nice straight highway to hillbilly road to hillbilly town where I made a
sharp turn to find hillbilly low bridge.   We blocked traffic while we crept
and my lady watched.   The mast crutch cleared by < 1 inch.   Then I drove
through construction at night with lanes bordered by concrete only 8'6" wide
for a couple miles.   My parents' neighbor lost their brand new camper
trailer there a week later, the wheel snagged a concrete divider that was a
tad crooked.   I'm looking for less stress this year.

What I found:   Truckers and my own neighbor (who made his first RV into a
convertible) use stand alone gps systems that cost $400-500.    There is an
app for "copilot" truck that costs 150 but includes updates.    Ford doesn't
realize people use their vehicles to pull trailers and apparently doesn't
have an upgrade for the built in nav system.   I'm waiting to check with a
guy that delivers new livestock trailers for a living, but he got caught
with a double trailer rig 17 inches too long so his holiday was sacrificed
to drive the trip twice.

What do you guys use?    Do you like it?   I have an iPhone and GPS equipped
iPad for navionics that will already be with me.

Alex

-----
Alex Cole
S/V Lark