[Rhodes22-list] Subject: lower stays

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Wed Mar 8 21:02:01 EST 2017

Without signing your message we are unable to address you by name.

I have attached a picture of one of the chainplates  that I removed from my
boat so that you can see what you are dealing with. The chainplate, which is
really just a tang that has been bent so that it goes through the deck and
wraps under the deck core material (plywood in my case) and is held by a
small screw that goes through the hole in the end. Mine all worked loose and
as a result it was impossible to make a permanent seal where the tang went
through the deck. I had no idea what I was dealing with and so I ground out
the deck to get the things out. I now know that it probably would have been
much easier to remove them by cutting through the headliner, remove the
screw and push the chainplate out from below. I also attached a picture of
the holes I created and then has to patch and subsequently repaint my entire
deck - which I was going to to anyway because of a variety of other repairs
I made to the deck.

I didn't want to keep the old chainplates so I installed new ones. For these
I used forged eyebolts made by Blue Wave. The advantage of this arrangement
is that I could install it through a hole that I drilled through the deck
and core that I filled with epoxy and sealed with butyl tape. It should be
watertight. I made spacers of composite lumber cut at an angel to fit the
slope of the liner and that , along with large stainless steel fender
washers should be at least as strong as the original tang and with little,
if any, room to wiggle loose. I have attached a picture of the deck after it
was rebuilt showing the new chainplates installed. That said, I have not yet
completed my rebuild and have not tested this new arrangement on the water.

When you say that "one of the chainplates pulled the fibreglass" I am not
sure what you are describing. If you mean that the fibreglass lifted than I
would be concerned that the core material has become rotten. Water egress
into the deck was a concern that prompted me to make my repairs although it
turned out that I had no water damage to the core.. If the core is wet and
rotten you have a much larger problem to address. Let me know if that is the
case and I might be able to make some suggestions as that was a problem that
I had to address one the fore deck and in the process eventually discovered
that I definitely did it the hard way. The problem is that you can't see
what is happening under the deck.

Pictures of the damage would be very useful.

Take care,
Graham

Graham Stewart
Agile. R22, 1976