[Rhodes22-list] Not sailing the Med (final)

Chris Geankoplis chrisgeankoplis at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 11:07:49 EDT 2017

So,
      Life gets in the way sometimes. So when we found ourselves facing 3
convincing reasons to delay the Med trip until next June we acquiesced and
called a time out.

*Reason One:  Time.*  Enosis I   is snugged down in a former carnation
warehouse surround by little truck farms and flower growing farms in North
Eastern Spain.  Finally got the paperwork done.  From the vantage point of
having done the administrative portion of the import if I were to do it
again it would have taken a maximum of a week instead of three.  Located a
tow truck on short notice and a place to store the boat also on short
notice.  Had there been more time I could have arranged for repairs to the
trailer so it could travel the 80 miles to an RV storage  place in Norther
'Spain;  there wasn't enough time.  So instead of paying $540 for 9 months
I paid a bit more than two and a half times that.  It is indoors though so
that is nice.* See Attached* So we lost 3 weeks of the best sailing weather
and spent a lot more money especially for room and food (about $140 a day)
and storage.  Our gain was a wonderful 3 weeks together in Spain doing the
tourist  thing on land.

*Reason Two:   Medical. *  In my previous note I mentioned "medical"
problems.  Had a successful examination and it looks like no operation
right away and no big  "C."  So I do need to go back to the U.S. where I
have insurance for some further work.

*Reason Three:  Hurricane Irma.*  We understand from the boat yard where
Enosis II our home (a Catalina 387) is up on the hard, that our boat is in
"one piece" and "no assembly required".  However there probably was a fair
amount of rain water that did get driven in and we will have a mold farm if
we don't take care of it.  Also it will give us a chance to get the ball
rolling early on some work we wanted done this fall.  So we fly to Ft.
Lauderdale, spend a couple of days then on to Baltimore for a month or so.
Same price to fly from here to Baltimore as from here to Ft. Lauderdale and
then Baltimore, under $500 each.

*Bonus Reason: * *We can attend the **Boat Show* and see Stan and all the
other Rhodies.  See you at the show.

Chris & Alice Geankoplis
'83 Rhodes     Enosis