[Rhodes22-list] Rubber gasket

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Sat Aug 18 12:55:05 EDT 2018

Like Gary I used butyl extensively as a bedding material for my hardware and it is a dream to use compared to other sealants. The only place below the waterline where I used it was the centerboard cap and only then because I was getting desperate to find a solution. Gary's cautionary note is  good reason to keep looking for the proper neoprene - something I will do if/when the butyl fails or I have to remove the cap for any other reason.

4200 sealant is easier to remove than 5200, which is almost impossible without destroying the parts,  but would still be extremely difficult - especially for such a large area. When I bought my boat a previous owner had used one of those high-adhesive sealants  and I spent literally days getting the cap off using a torch to heat a large knife that I slowly moved along the join. Even then I still broke the cap into two pieces and had to make extensive repairs to the cap and the base.

I don't know if there is anything like butyl that has low adhesive characteristics and is still rated for below the waterline use.

For the time being the butyl is working but I will let the list know if it begins to fail - assuming the boat doesn't sink and take me with it.

Graham Stewart
Agile 1976 Rhodes 22
Kingston Ontario