[Rhodes22-list] highest comfortable wind speed

S/V Lark Colealexander at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 29 21:26:44 EDT 2018

Steve.

I think the problem is a reefed jib sheeted wide on the tracks while the
main is sheeted closer to centerline with the traveler.    When it’s reefed
you just can’t pull it tight enough to compliment the main.    Moving the
block on the tracks forward helps, and is easy to adjust alone under most
conditions.    Rerouting the sheet inside the shrouds and to the cabin is
tough for me to do alone in heavy wind and I only try it if I expect to hold
a beat for a long time and the wind isn’t likely to change.   In other
words, it doesn’t happen often on my boat.   If Tamiko is with me she would
rather relax then fuss with lines, so I still don’t do it.    I think it
depends on the kind of sailing you do,   If you are making miles then you do
what needs to be done.   Most of my sailing is about the journey, not the
destination.   Most reservoir sailors I see are happy to reach back and
forth, I sail the lake but don’t care if it takes me a couple more tacks to
get there.    I will pull out a tad more jib, even though the boat labors
and the rail gets wet, in order to clear a point of land without the
buffeting you describe - if I can work around the increased leeway.

Most of my sailing has a lot of land affect, shifts and gusts, but not much
wave.   I also suffer from too much self training, so others may have a
better approach.

Alex

-----
Alex Cole