[Rhodes22-list] Chris Cowie and GB

Art Czerwonky a_czerwonky at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 22:41:06 EDT 2018

Fellow skippers,
At some unknown point, probably better sooner than later based on a future for our Rhodes 22, some tangibles will add reality to the question of a potential partnership between Stan and other 'partners' for the future of GB and the R22.  Our fleet might prefer it named the Stan 22 or the Spitzer 22 - no humor or disrespect intended, just the realization of the aura he enjoys among many of our fleet members. A reality check would recognize that this may be of limited market value to 'outsiders' in a very competitive sailboat environment. Remember the. 80's!  This is one key ingredient (strength in future sales volume) in valuation.  What is a realistic value here - your decision.
Second value - what would a realistic appraisal of hard assets reveal.  Include land, structures, machining, molds, etc. Decide what min/max could be under worst and best economics.
Third value - what would be the value of managing a partnership with Stan or would outright ownership be a better outcome.  I would suggest a 50% partner with any seasoned veteran would be a minor partner throughout such an arrangement.  Is this your wish and goal?
I shared the first two of these value judgements with Stan during our first dinner at Family Corral in 2006, when he recognized that we would have a 'strategic partnership' on my newly approved boom room. The third value was obviously avoided in our conversational.  I learned very quickly about this, however.  I want transformed from a mensch to an adversary within two years.
This post will no doubt be a twist of spice for Stan to churn, but experience speaks louder that words could ever.  When a partnership is in the offing, it will ultimately fail in the absence of a true and equal stake for each partner.
I believe a practical solution which would not apply in this case is a legitimate written buy/sell agreement with  'first to die' insurance in place. I am neither an attorney or insurance agent, but I suspect they would. agree with this opinion.
I hope this makes sense to my fellow skippers.
Best regards, always, and a belated Happy Birthday to Stan.
Art Czerwonkys/v MaryJane
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android