[Rhodes22-list] Towing with a Ridgeline?

mweisner at ebsmed.com mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Dec 20 13:54:36 EST 2018

It is important to note that the Ridgeline underwent a major redesign in
2017, increasing the bed size and towing capacity.  The "Gen1" was a nice
small pickup with interestingly sloped bed walls.  The "Gen2" Ridgeline
(2017+)  depends more on technology ($computers$) and  composite materials
making it significantly lighter and more fuel efficient.  The claim is 27
mpg on the highway but the Honda club says that it is more like 22-24mpg.

I looked seriously at the new 2018 Ridgeline as a replacement for my 2005
Nissan Xterra with 221K miles.  Instead, I opted to purchase a certified
preowned 2015 Nissan Xterra.  My decision was based largely on maintaining a
true truck chassis in my tow vehicle (the Honda ACE body has yet to be
proven) and the fact that I really have little use for an open bed pickup
most of the time.  The 2015 Xterra only gets 20-21mpg but it is totally
enclosed.  I also preferred the 6-speed manual transmission option from
Nissan over the up/down shift hunting that was all too obvious in the Honda
6-speed automatic transmission at 30-35 mph.  The constant shifting drives
me nuts when towing using an automatic with poor hysteresis control.  It
can't be good for the tranny either.

The 2015 Nissan Xterra represents the last year of Xterra production.  The
Frontier shared the same design with an open bed and is still being
produced.  The Nissan plan appears to move to the Rogue chassis for future
"trucks."  I am happy with the 2015 Xterra decision.

Mike
s/v Wind Lass ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY