[Rhodes22-list] Doyle UPS

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Tue Jan 23 12:10:01 EST 2018

Stephen,

My 175 does have a luff pad (I’m pretty sure), but I still don’t think it works well when heavily reefed (say down to around 100%).  As I understand it, this issue is not just the shape of the portion of sail that’s exposed, but also the effect that the portion rolled on the headstay has on the airflow.  The bigger the roll, the worse the effect.

If I do go with a smaller genoa, I’m not sure if I’d get a 150 or a 135.  Maybe I’ll be able to find some guidance in the archives.  It’s good to hear that even the 150 gets hung up less when tacking.

I live in Coventry, CT, which is in the eastern part of the state.  During sailing season the boat lives on a mooring in Groton, CT, just east of the Thames River.  It’s about an hour drive.  It’s really an ideal location for a home port, as there are many potential destinations and anchorages within a sail of a day or two.  Even so, I’m hoping to expand my horizons in 2018 by taking advantage of the easy trailer-ability of the Rhodes 22.  I’ve had an email exchange with the harbormaster in South Dartmouth, MA confirming that as long as you pay the fee it’s OK to leave a vehicle and trailer in their boat ramp parking lot for up to a week.  That would be a jumping off point for cruising Buzzards Bay and Martha’s Vineyard and maybe even Nantucket.

—Peter