[Rhodes22-list] Tiller mayhem

S/V Lark Colealexander at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 24 17:34:42 EDT 2018

Chris:   It wasn't much of an adventure fortunately.  I was beating and
nearing end of the lake, so I was about as far from the lee shore as is
possible in a puddle.   I had decent speed.  Of course when the tiller broke
the boat carried out its wishes and rounded up.   I immediately doused the
jib, strong armed  the main to finish bringing the bow around so I could
furl the main.   I waved my tiller at the parasailor encouraging him to give
me some room.  He had buzzed me a couple times so I could appreciate his
jumps.    The motor started, so I was motoring back to the marina within two
minutes of the break.   If I was far from harbor I would have tried to lash
my paddle to the rudder.   I keep one as the standard midwestern signaling
device, since many powerboaters don't know know what that orange flag with
the circle and square means.    I bought my wheel barrow handle and trimmed
it yesterday.   Easy enough in the basement shop, but I doubt you had a
table saw, hand saw, drill and 2" chisel in the Enosis .

Stan:   I mailed the failed tiler to the Forensic Analysis division of
General Boats International at their Edenton office.

Alex

-----
Alex Cole
S/V Lark