[Rhodes22-list] Sailing the Med

Chris Geankoplis chrisgeankoplis at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 02:12:14 EDT 2018

Hey Alex,
      I considered that, such a simple and elegant solution.  Alas, the
type of hitch arrangement is a single roughly 1" steel rod with a welded on
50mm ball. All available rentals (and they are far and few between) have
such an arrangement. Drat!  Looks like I will be McGyvering the situation.
After all, it only came off the hitch once last year on a 50km trip at 80
kmph on a freeway here in Spain.  I only have to go 16 km at a sedate 50
kmph. Thanks again for the offer!  Might need someone to express some
CheezIts as I am getting dangerously low on those golden bits of the nectar
of heaven. (grin)

 Good news!  After insisting that I have an International Certificate of
Competency, among a plethora of other documents the marina decided to look
the other way.  So I now have a date with the ramp on Tuesday.  Yesterday I
raised the mast, then found the missing hardware............don't cha
know!  It was a test anyway since it is bad form to tow a Rhodes with the
mast up.  Today starts with a nice 1mile walk through the village, then
past some small factories and then through a sunken lane and through some
farmers fields to the boat.  Think I'll drop the mast, attach the mic hdw
and raise it again to make sure everything is "bale" as they say in
Catalonia, then drop it one last time.  I'll service the motor and test it
then assemble the rudder to be sure everything is fine.  Can't recall the
number of times over the years some part of the disassembled rudder takes a
walkabout.  Might compound the hull if the rain doesn't start up again.
Well that's about it from here.  Attached is a photo of part of my walk to
the boat that I go through each morning.  Oh and that is the road I will be
towing the boat out of.