[Rhodes22-list] Mast raising

John Blackburn jcbblackb at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 07:42:53 EDT 2018

Hello everyone,

I have had some trouble over the past few years with the block that the
mast raising winch attaches to, and thought I would get some guidance from
the group.

I thought that it looked like the bolts that secure the block to the cabin
top had stripped the nuts that are buried in the fiberglass. But after
reading the block installation instructions - there are not nuts in there
at all.

The installation instructions say to drill holes in the cabin top, fill
with caulk and the machine screws will self tap into the caulk.

The questions I have are:
1). I was thinking of drilling through the cabin top and putting a plate
inside and securing with a bolt and nut - that would give me a level of
confidence.

2) what kind of "caulk" could be used that would secure the bolts to boat,
secure enough to attach the winch to and raise the mast.

Thank you
Best Regards
John Blackburn
Snow Hill Md