[Rhodes22-list] Stains and Dirt

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Wed Jun 13 11:49:28 EDT 2018

Practical Sailor has reviewed sail cleaning products and gives excellent and
practical advice:
Here is one comments in an article from:
https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/44_2/features/Quick-and-Safe-Sail-Cl
eaning_12353-1.html

"We then tackled a sail that had been a birds' nest for a few weeks. We
tried Formula B and Starbrite Canvas and Sal Cleaner; both removed the
surface dirt, but none appreciably affected the underlying stains. We then
attacked the stains with CS-530 and Oxiclean, using procedures similar to
those described for the cushions.

Winds were very light and on the bow, the sail is full batten and does not
flog, so we scrubbed the stains right on the spars, hoisting and lowering as
needed for access. In all cases, the stains were greatly reduced within two
hours, and then vanished completely after several days' exposure to the sun
while sailing. Again, the lesson is that UV finishes the job, so quit when
you are about 80 percent of the way there."

Basically it boils down to Oxiclean and sunlight.

Graham Stewart
Agile. R22, 1976
Kingston Ontario Canada