[Rhodes22-list] Gas Tank storage while under way?

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Thu Mar 15 18:13:09 EDT 2018

We had 2 three gallon tanks on Fretless (with a quick connect fitting so
we could switch from one to the other easily). They were different
brands and for one or them, we had to take the gas cap off to slide it
under (and then put the cap back on once it was in position.) For both
of them, there was more clearance under the bench seats forward so we
would put them in around the middle of the cockpit and then slide them
back into position. They stayed in place that way and we never had a
bracket or anything else to secure them.

I would not store a gas tank in the lazarette even at the dock. There is
a reason power boats have blowers in the bilge.

Make sure you flush the engine with freshwater after every use. Our
original Honda died from salt water corrosion. We kept the boat in a
slip and could not flush the motor easily and didn't really know any
better. It was an expensive lesson. I believe the newer Hondas have a
flushing port that is easier to reach.

You are sailing in our home waters. Lots of great places to anchor our
within a few hours. Enjoy!

Mary Lou

ex Rhodes 22

now Rosborough RF-246  Tara